Sunday, December 16, 2007

Trimming the Tree

I am sorry for the long time in between posts but it was a hard week to find inspiration. Work is driving me insane.

This weekend found me doing some Christmas shopping and staying warm and indoors during a Sunday storm. Tonight after a bowl of homemade chicken soup I found myself pouring a glass of res, turning on the radio to holiday music and trimming our tree. We bought it last week and found time to put the star and lights on midweek and we thought maybe no decorations. The tree, white lights and gold star looked elegant but I was in the spirit to do more. Max laid on the couch, I trimmed the tree, we sang and then when I decided enough ornaments we snuggled on the couch wrote out Christmas cards.

I have to admit I have been in a forced holiday mood. More truer this time than last year but still forced. Something about this weeks snow storms helped put me in the spirit of this time of year. Funny because I sometimes think of moving to a warmer climate, but yet this year the snow helped make the mood...

I think part of my delay for the mood is my parents are older and still do some decorating but they don't do as much as when my sister, cousin and I were younger. They don't do the lights, rush to do the decorations, etc. It all comes when they find time and because I am living at their home right now it isn't exactly like I can take over. Next year I hope to be all healed and in my own place in which I can decorate my tree, string up lights, play carols during dinner, trim my tree, host a party, and most of all enjoy the holiday. I will find my way back to a happy holiday spirit some day but know little by little I am working on it.

Do you find it harder as you get older or are in certain circumstances to be in the spirit?

No comments: