Monday, January 19, 2009

New Me

This past year has taken a big toll on me personally. If you haven't read my blog before I had ankle surgery last January (2008) after being in a cast for most of 2007, due to the foot I became lazy - not as active with running, etc., and I lost my job. It is always fun to hear the words "Your job is being eliminated" and then watching the economy go into a downward spiral. I was not lucky enough to rebound quickly and land on two feet with a new job. In fact I am still looking. When anything like this happens to someone it takes a toll on their whole life. I let me activity level drop, my weight go up, and my mood go crazy.

This past November I decided I would start taking things back, getting in control. I started getting more serious with my food intake, the gym and new activities, and working on that darn job thing. Well to date I never found a job so I decided to head back to school and get my MBA. Funny how working out and eating better is sooo much easier. The gym thing is going very well. I take two Yoga classes a week, two/three days of weight training, two spin classes, two days a week of a Boot Camp class (yep finally was convinced to sign up) and just started a kickboxing class. I LOVE every single class. Even if some are hard, I need to do something different and challenge myself. The eating is better too. I cut back on alcohol, not cut it out, just back, I keep a food journal on the fridge so when I open the fridge I track - this makes it easy. I am cutting back on processed foods, drinking more water and green tea. Little by little this part of my life is getting back on track. So here is to making me feel personally happier and in control again. Remember this - it only takes 21 days to make a habit... try it. I did and every day I feel better, more confident and stronger. And finally feeling like the jeans fit better, that is just an extra perk.

While we all like to say the eating and working out thing is to make us/help us look better which is how we feel better - not so true. I will help us feel better, build more confidence which inevitably makes us look sexier because we hold ourselves higher. That and sometimes seeing a therapist to talk about crazy things in out lives help round us all out. I am doing the latter too, seeing someone who lets me talk about work, not working, family issues, personal strengths or weaknesses and I am not ashamed, I embrace it.

My challenge to you is to make one small change and try to keep doing it every day for 21 days. Over the course of the 21 days you will embrace the change and it will make you feel better and stringer to try something else new. Good Luck!

No comments: