Friday, April 25, 2008

Jobs

Jobs seem to be a point of contention lately for a lot of my friends. We all can't afford to leave the jobs we are in in search of another yet nothing seems to be knocking down or door or the doors we knock down won't budge. What gives??? I actually have an interview, a second one, next week. This job could be absolutely amazing for me - travel, more of responsibility, networking and meeting new people, hopefully more money but more importantly what I would rather be doing. Someone once said to me you can't always do what you love in order to support yourself and darn them for telling me the truth but I am finding there is something about my generation of 20 somethings who want it all. We want the higher, corner office job that we like and make good money from. I don't think we are greedy we just want to accomplish everything we hope for and we want to do it at a younger age. We see our parents, mentors, employers, relatives and neighbors and they all are older, work extremely hard for what they have but these people don't always enjoy their lives. They work too much and don't get to go out and enjoy life. They don't call out for a day just because. My generation on the other hand does and we still expect to get ahead. Their is nothing wrong with that in my mind. I work hard but I haven't managed finding a balance between work and living life. How is it getting a higher job, better money and having more time off helps... not sure but something about achieving it by 30 feels better than achieving it at 50 when kids are grown. We aren't the greedy ones, we just want to be able to enjoy our lives and our families throughout our lives. Selfish... ok maybe a little!
~xoxo

No comments: