Friday, November 2, 2007

Checking In

I know it has been a few days since my last post...sorry work has been crazy. Speaking of work...how do you feel when people check in on you 24/7, or so it feels. Most people I know don't like to be micro-managed including myself. Especially when a prior boss let you do what you want/need within constraints. It isn't fun when someone calls you every hour to see where you are or wants you to email and update every step of the process. I know what I do and what you do is important but sometimes we can do our jobs faster if you leave us alone!!! It takes time to send an email or answer a call. If there is something you want us to do, fine email or call but don't keep checking in.

A good leader/manager can walk away and trust his/her employees. They build their employees confidence by loosening the reins a little and trusting them. When the trust is broken I understand it is necessary to pull that person back in but it shows a true leader who has faith in his/her employees to let them do their jobs. Someone who isn't confident in themselves and their abilities is someone who is a micro-manager and needs to know everything about everyone at any moment. It shows they are not comfortable in their own skin/position.

If you are one of those micro-managers, how would you feel if your boss checked in on you 24/7. Not great right as it takes away from your job on checking in on everyone and whatever else you have to do.

Loosen the reigns a little... you may be surprised.

No comments: