Monday, November 19, 2007

It's Not All About Me...But Isn't It???

I want you to take a minute and really think about the title. I am not trying to be selfish or sound selfish here but really think about it - isn't everything about us??? Think about it we do everything to make us better people, happier, friendlier, prettier, healthier...everything. We try to live by a motto "It's not all about me" but take that motto down a notch or two and it really is all about you. You go to a doctor to make you feel better if you are sick, you donate your time or energy to a good cause or charity because it makes you feel better, you get plastic surgery to make yourself feel or look better, you buy makeup because it helps you look better, younger, and I could go on.

Granted some are more self-centered than others but what we do every day is really in a response to making us feel better. If you have 2 piles of clothes to get rid of - do you throw them away or donate them?? Chances are you donate them because someone else can use them. Why not throw them out - because it makes you feel better thinking someone else could and probably will use them. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, not by any means, but our actions are done because we chose to do them and in choosing so we feel better about ourselves. If you threw those clothes out you would feel guilty about it later on.

I am not conveying that living your life with the "It's All About Me" attitude or motto is the way to go. I truly think that it is selfish to do all the time, but sometimes it is all about you and you do deserve to feel that way. I am working on fixing my foot because it is all about me after all. I want to walk and run again. I want to compete in a road race again, hopefully a marathon but I will settle for a 5k right now.

Really think about this topic over the next few days, especially as the holiday season is knocking down the door. Think about what you do and how it effects you as a person and effects your feelings.

No comments: